Friday 28 October 2011

Vasco era

At my first live gig in australia and it shows my opinion of the headline act that I feel I have time to blog during their set. Papa vs pretty are for all intents and purposes mediocre, they play their songs well but those songs are simply just not interesting. How they can be promoted to headline in comparison to the support of the likes of vasco era - a band who play a composed set and enjoyable set despite difficulties with amps in the very first song. This was duly dealth with by the lead singer giving an accapella version of a tom waits song whilst tuning his guitar, before eventually launching back in to finish that which they had started. A mature and ultimately enjoyable reaction which arguably made the performance all the stronger.
In other news, my syntheses are all going well now I have had a second go at them, although I need to do some further work with some waste to recover products to increase my yields. Still, it works, and aside from some prominent solvent peaks in the nmr of the intermediate all shows up clean and pure.  No mean feat for me at least, especially now i'm trusted to run my own nmrs as well.
Collectively the newer people in my office (me, ramon and max) decided that the office wasn't homely enough and needed some more personalisation. My window out onto the third year undergrad labs is now a giant union jack, back to front for them not that they would probably notice, but still. Has sparked some amusing debates. If only we had a colour printer i'd make the desk truly my own but for now it will do.
The ridiculous policy of prepay phones in australia mean that you have to recharge once a month or lose your credit, which is pretty rubbish, but at the same time gave me an excuse to ring home. As much as I laud the joys of skype and it's video capacity, phones just have the edge. No delays. No jumpy video, no disappointment. Was just nice to speak to jenny for however long ($50 worth...) and my parents the following morning. Sometimes it's nice to catch up with the things and people you miss.
On the subject of people from home it shouldn't be long before Katy gets out here, sometime next week I think. So I shall have to get down and work for that, so much work to do... Quite an inbalance here, there is no prescribed non-lab time. Everything else is off my own back or stolen from a spare moment. Still I would have it no other way. It's good, keeps me on my toes and keep me busy. Happy times, happy times indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment